Our journey has been an extensive one, originating in the days when Wild Bill Hickock served in the township as the constable. The Monticello Methodist Church was organized in 1865 at the close of the Civil War. Kansas was a young state at that time.
Shortly after the development of homes, the settlers established a church and a school at 71st and Gleason Road in a building called the "Old Virginia Schoolhouse." The charter members were: Fannie Olson Jackson, Mr. and Mrs. Fred L Kueker, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Mize, Mr. and Mrs. H. M. Dubois, Mr. and Mrs. N. W. Murphy, Mr. and Mrs. W.P. Hagler, Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Mize. They were under the pastoral care of Rev. A. R. Houts.
The members worshipped and sought spiritual enrichment at
the Old Virginia School House as well as in their homes.
The next fourteen years the church shifted from one place to another for worship services.
In 1879 it was agreed that a church building should be constructed. A site one and one-half miles southwest of the town of Monticello was purchased from Mr. W. P. Hagler for a sum of fifty dollars. This is the site of the present church building. After a fire destroyed the original building, a new structure was built in 1894 and was named Monticello Methodist Episcopal Church. This building has become our prayer chapel and church offices. Next to it stands a modern sanctuary with updated technology, a large recently renovated fellowship hall, and a large children's center.